Members of the Dartmouth community are permitted to use skateboards, inline skates, non-motorized scooters, roller-skates or similar wheeled devices on roads, walkways, or parking lots provided they exercise due caution, yield to pedestrians and do not injure others or damage property or create the potential to do so.
No person may roller skate, inline skate or ride upon any skateboard or similar wheeled device:
- within any College building
- on the courtyards and plazas associated with College buildings
- on any ramp, stairways, landings or handrail, etc.
- on walks designated as dismount areas by “No Bicycling” symbols or signs or
- on any College structures, including but not limited to benches, walls, sculptures, statues or monuments.
In addition, the use of these devices to perform or attempt tricks or stunts is strictly prohibited on the Dartmouth campus unless specifically approved or as part of a sanctioned university event.
All riders are subject to local state and federal regulations, and are encouraged to wear personal protective equipment. Skateboarders should be aware of and respect the Hanover town ordinance prohibiting use of skateboards on town sidewalks. They should also note that the sidewalks adjacent to town roads throughout the Dartmouth campus are covered by the ordinance.